Thursday, September 13, 2012

All The Days Of Summer


Indian Summer last a long time here in Northern California.
In Summer... all the days feel the same.
Caveman works at a job that requires him to work 7 days a week from around July 4th to late September.
Yes- even Sundays. I love when people ask me 'even Sundays?', yes- even Sundays, as it is one of the days of the week. This year the long days of overtime started in early Spring, and were 12 hours days, but since July they have been 8 hours days.

Since I left my 'office job' last year, the days of Summer are just days, no weekends or week days. Half the time I never know if it's a Tuesday or a Saturday, as it makes no difference one way or the other. I can't say that is a bad thing, it's just the way it is.

In addition to keeping a tidy and organized home, I keep up with all the watering and outside chores myself. I work harder physically than I ever did sitting at a desk in my office chair all day, I love that most about my stay at home job.
I love that when I am done with chores, time permitting, I am able to sew, craft, or bake.
Being home full time is a privilege, and certainly one I do not take for granted. 
There was a time, not so long ago, for many years, that this wasn't an option for me, for us.  
This is a personal choice, and it works for our life together.
 I love most that Caveman allows me this opportunity to take care of our life here at home, inside and outside.
 I'm not so sure he was convinced, when I decided to leave my previous job, that having me home full time was going to make all that much of a difference, but I can tell you it certainly has. As for Caveman, well, he is sincerely happier having me home, meals are cooked, shopping, cleaning, and laundry is done, occasionally a pie is baked and ready for him when he comes home. Call me old fashioned (don't worry, for me there is no higher compliment), but having something for Caveman to eat at the end of his work day is the least I can do to show my appreciation for his financial contribution to this life we live together. Sure, there are times it gets crazy, maybe the gran-babies have been here all day, I was out in town for most of the day, or I was involved in a sewing or crafting frenzy, and dinner wasn't planned for the evening. Caveman is OK with that too, some evenings dinner is as simple as grabbing some cucumbers, tomatoes, corn from the garden, and serving it with some bread.
There is a peace and contentment in our home that surpasses anything money could ever buy.
 I've been asked, 'Do you have children at home.?' No, not now, we are 'empty nesters', but we have 'us'. I love being a wife and a Grammy at home, yes- even on Sundays.
The Girasole Lady

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post. It sounds like you don't take it for granted but are full of gratitude. I also like the nickname for your hubby. In times like these, it generally takes two paychecks to survive. I'm glad you're able to stay at home. You're right, being at home can be a vigorous full time job. I have done it for several years off and on throughout my marriage. Every day was full. By the way, the pictures you posted are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete