Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tomato Sandwiches & Home Made Ice Cream

Last night we had tomato sandwiches and home made ice cream for dinner.
That's just what you do when the temps outside are soaring above 100 degrees, even in the evening. Just the thought of cooking makes me break out in a sweat and feel nauseous.

We are in the second week of a heat wave, the temps have been hoovering around 105-110.

I've spent hours and hours of watering, watering everything from the trees at the barn, vegetable garden, the roses down by the road, and everything in between.

On top of the heat we have smoke filled air from the fire up the Canyon, and also from fires in Shasta, Lassen and Lake County.

By the time I'm done with morning outside chores I'm too exhausted to put any effort into cleaning the house. The heat is draining, making me tired, unmotivated, and even a little crabby.
My house is a wreck and needs some serious TLC. I am in and out of the house so much, that the floor collects straggly pieces of grass, weeds, and general dirt, being tracked in by my feet. Maverick contributes too by bringing in stickers on his hair and politely dropping them all over the carpet, stepping on them inside makes me feel like I have to wear shoes in the house. There are zucchini, cucumbers and tomatoes all over the kitchen that need to be washed and cared for. I need to bake some zucchini bread, but it's too hot to turn on the oven. I feel confidant that if I just set the zucchini batter outside in a bread pan that the heat out there would cook it in no time.

Walking through my little garden looks something like this...
(after watering)

These pictures make me feel cool, and that all the watering is worth it. 

Maybe today it will only be 100 degrees. Maybe this weekend the temps will fall into the 90's.
Maybe I'll regain some inspiration and energy. Maybe I'll feel like myself again.

For this morning I will head out once again and pick the veggie garden, feed the horses, and water some more.

 The Girasole Lady

4 comments:

  1. I'll bet you would love a macro lens for those super up close shots of your flowers. It would capture some pretty amazing water droplets. And there's never too many pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES- I do want a marco lens! I love the water droplets on all the leaves.
      HUGS- Love , Momma

      Delete
  2. I understand completely how you feel. The heat does sap all energy and motivation away. I don't feel like doing much outside or inside. At least you've kept up your watering and it looks like your garden is thriving. Beautiful pictures of your plants and flowers. Just doing that chore takes a lot out of you in such intense heat, never mind having to feed horses... though I think I would love that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the garden pictures!!! <3 - sis-a-roo

    ReplyDelete