Thursday, May 24, 2012

'Secret Garden'

Yesterday Beth, my youngest daughter, had Sod delivered to her home for her front and back yards. She has been working feverishly for the past week getting the yards ready for the instant gratification of having a lawn.
Beth is a hard worker, a really hard worker. When she finished with the Sod, she called me to tell me she had several pieces left over, and would I be interested in giving them a "home". Sod can't survive more than 24 hours without being set in the dirt and watered.  I said "yes, of course".

It all happened in such a hurry I did not get any before pictures, but the little strip of dirt and weeds that was  between the back porch and my little garden now has green grass....

I am so excited! 
It needs to be watered for 20 minutes 3 times per day. In 2 weeks we can walk on it. What a huge difference just a little grass makes. My little garden is separated from the big grass area by a huge Honeysuckle bush growing on the garden fence. The Honeysuckle was planted before the big grass area on the other side, so it creates a barrier between the main part of the back yard and the little garden. It wasn't intentional, but just so happened to end up that way.  We've talked many times about tearing it out, but the truth is, I love my little garden. For the first 10 years living out here, it was all the garden I had. Instead, what I am trying to create is a "Secret Garden" for myself and the Grand Babies. This Fall we are planning on building a little wooden cottage next to the garden area. Small enough to be a "play-house" but also large enough to be a "big girl room" too.

 'The Secret Garden' is one of my favorite movies.
The spell was broken. My uncle learned to laugh, and I learned to cry. The secret garden is always open now. Open, and awake, and alive. If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden. 
-Mary Lennox-

The Girasole Lady

1 comment: