Monday, May 21, 2012

"Things"

Saturday, I sold my car, a VW Bug. Long ago I dreamed of having a VW Bug, way before becoming a wife and mother. In 2007 I traded in my Ford Ranger for the new Bug. The first few weeks I had my new Bug I loved it.

Quickly after that I realized how much I desperately missed my Ranger. I had taken for granted all the times I had plenty of hauling room, you know like when you go to Costco to pick up a few things and end up coming home with a new kitchen table. Unique garage sale finds that were simply too big to fit inside of the Bug.

For now I am without a car, although I have Caveman's old blue truck to drive in the meantime. However, I would only drive it if necessary due to "Old Blue" being very finicky, at times, even a little unpredictable. The possibility of being stranded in town somewhere is way worse than being stuck at home.

I was amused by the reactions from a few friends:
"You don't have a car! What are you going to do?"
"I can't believe you can do without a car"
"I would die without my car"

My response:
"I'm going to be home, a lot" (means I will be getting way more done at home)
"I will manage fine without a car, I've been through worse"
"Die? I hardly think so. Again, I've been through worse"

I would like to mention that, more than likely, the reason this is really ok, is being currently I do not work outside of my home and Farm. I also have 3 grown daughters with vehicle's, should the need arise. It's not all that dismal.
However, I am not in a financial situation to purchase another car, at least not right now. In time I will have another vehicle, but for a while I'm going to enjoy the financial freedom of NOT owning a car. My Bug needed new tires, badly, and the registration was coming up for renewal in July. I took good care of my Bug while I had it, now it has a new driveway to nest in.

Having a car is a material possession, something I'm not deeply attached to in the first place. Sure I "love" my home, and the things inside my home, but the items will never "love" me in return. They will never make me "happy", the happiness my home gives me comes from family and friends that share it with me, the memories made here are kept in our hearts, where they remain safe inside.

We all have our "Junk", yes, even Girasole Farm.

I'm not afraid to admit that I am less than perfect.
                                                                            The Girasole Lady                                                                                      

2 comments:

  1. HI there. I loved your commentary and felt like so much of what you said was absolutely true. I especially loved your observation that our home or our "things" will never love us in return and creating happiness comes from creating memories. Great thoughts to ponder.
    p.s. it's the flaws that make us human... and fascinating! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping in Bernadine. I'll be hopping over to your blog a little later to see what you have been up to.
    Hugs- Becka

    ReplyDelete